Monday, August 2, 2021

Thank You Iceland

 Clearly I am not very good at writing every day. Well, I write, but I don't always blog. I tried keeping a diary of days when the pandemic started, and I did great for about a month. But with kids home from school, and life soldiering on, I really didn't keep up very well. 

I did take pictures, though. Some selfies to chronicle mood, some of all the hiking we did--and we did quite a lot. I just returned from a solo trip to Iceland, and there's a lot more story there than I can fit into a single post. 

I found my words again in an AirBnB that creaked with every footstep, and felt like a home. Sitting on a  mountain, staring out over the land, the river and the sea, the words came flooding in like a dam broke, and I submitted to their will. I sat at the kitchen table and wrote until my hands hurt, slept and wrote some more. I will share the fractured pieces of what came out as time goes by--fiction, mostly. But fiction is like a painting and the words are my colors. 

I fell in love with that place. Like I was always meant to stay there. But "staying" was not what this trip was about. Another trip, another time. 

But as I said, more on all that later. For now, I'm just happy the words are back. 

So Thank you, Iceland. I love you for what you've given back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment