Friday, March 7, 2014

Loki and The Craft

Loki and Coyote

I was just going to yammer about Loki and Tom Hiddleston for a sec, but with the name of the blog, I thought I'd throw in a little bit about Coyote to say "It's not just about Loki for me." It's about an archetype. I like the trickster.

Coyote

I don't know when the fascination started. I'm pretty sure it's always been there, because I don't remember not liking coyotes as an animal. It was in college that I learned what Coyote the god was, and I loved them all even more.

Coyotes are highly adaptable. When the white man first came to America, the range of the coyote was limited to the desert southwest. Now they are everywhere, and are even interbreeding with wolves--a fact I am in love with. Why? Nature. Always. Wins.

Without getting in to details, adaptability has come in handy in my life. I'm alive because of it. I have often been the architect of my life's changes, and just like Coyote, sometimes it backfires. Epically.

Loki

I learned about Loki not too long after learning about Coyote. I don't know as much about him, but he is a bit darker, and seems a little less...playful, I suppose in the only way I can say it. I keep meaning to read more on the subject, but my reading list is endless and I have Lokisdottir and Baldursdottir to keep track of.

And Now

Yea, it's pretty obvious that I have a thing for Loki of the Marvel Universe. What isn't obvious is why. Yes Tom Hiddleston is remarkably easy on the eyes and seems to be made of the stuff of dreams and all that. That certainly helps.

I like how Loki is treated. Portrayed. Fleshed out. Brought to life. The writing for him is all the complexity, darkness, and ruthless ability to survive fitting for the type without being too heavy handed. He is the troubled kid, the mercenary, the brother, son, impetuous teen.

And the Craft

The Tom Hiddleston part, I saved for last. I've become a fan of him through the Marvel franchise, but because of his craft more than his looks. He wears the character beautifully. Loki could have easily been a flat bad guy, but has become (ok my opinion is skewed but) the most popular character of the franchise because Tom had the right chemistry for the part. He's playful and youthful and not so young that he's boring.

I've watched some of the interviews he has done, and I love it when he is asked to "do Loki". He looks away for a moment an you can see Loki in Tom's clothing. I love that. I've also seen a few clips of him in costume watching the dailies and it's Tom in Loki's clothing. I have a deep respect for that ability...to own a character so well without being consumed. One of my closest friends worked with him on The Avengers and said just that: He really is the nicest guy you could meet.

End of the day, of this entry, of my thoughts...I love masters of their crafts, and watching them work. There's an otherwordliness about them that fascinates me.

Some Day!

I will figure out how to embed images. But I have a cold and Thor 2 is going in the background. If this all seemed distracted, that's why.

No comments:

Post a Comment