Sunday, February 22, 2015

Binge

Thanks to Netflix, I can now watch tv like I read. Wholly, selfishly. Utterly replete with the story, with my eyes hopelessly fixed on the horizon of "The End". I can't let the story go (if it's a good one) until I get to the end. I will read while I stir dinner on the stove. I will read while I walk, pick up the house; everything. At least with tv shows, I have to wait until bedtime because none of my shows are fit for kids.

The problem is, with reading, I miss little bits. Tiny details. Nuances that I know the author put in there for a reason. Sometimes I'm compelled to reread the story, and in doing so I find it has changed for me. I pick up on the nuances, but I also take the time to relax into the story. Feel the characters. Get a sense of the world that the author created. Rachel Caine gets to me that way. I reread because I enjoy subtleties.

The same thing happens with tv. I want to KNOW EVERYTHING NOW! Especially when it's a popular show and facebook fills with references that I don't understand--Breaking Bad was an obsession more for the need to understand the references than for the joy of the show. I ended up liking it, but there were points where it was just my own willpower pushing me along. Knowing it would end some day.

Then there's Dexter. I watched it the first time to get to the "you're gonna HATE the end" references, and because I enjoyed the show. Now on my second time through (Breaking Bad didn't get a second go), I'm enjoying the details. The hints. The references.

Success!!

HA! I got to it and through it, far surpassing my expectations. It may not be much, but hey...I wrote!

No comments:

Post a Comment