Saturday, February 7, 2015

To Done!

Kitchen painted, Rising Stars finished, Jupiter Ascending viewed, re-walked and mended more of the fence around the five acres, even got some real writing done. Some flash, too, but that's how I roll. I'll share that later.

Kitchen painted. Yeah, the wandering around for everything finally go just old enough, and a friend who has been here a lot put and eye on the dottirs while I did it. Now I want to paint the wall around the tv. Orange. Not that seventies aggression orange that someone somewhere thought was good for schools, but a softer orange with a hint of gray. And I like crappy paint jobs, so it will be another crappy paint job. Not a wash, just crappy. It worked out nicely in the bathroom, so here's to hope. And time. And a tall ladder because the ceiling is about 20 feet up right there.

Rising Stars. It's on my recommend list for graphic novels, and the only other one I liked was Preacher. I'd summarize, but I'm no good at summaries that don't include spoilers...which is why when anyone asks "What's it about?" regarding anything, my answer is disjointed and I'm usually fairly certain the listener thinks I'm soft in the head. Which is fine. Low expectations. I'm blond; I've become used to them. No, I'm not kidding.

I really liked Jupiter Ascending. I went in prepared to be disappointed, but they pulled it off. It was BIG, there was a lot of set-up universe wise, but because they pulled from current alien belief (lizard men and grays) they were able to get more done. Sci-Fi like that isn't easy in this post-franchise world that Marvel/Disney brought to us. We develop understandings of characters over time (which, hey, the more Tom Hiddleston the better), and see the process of growth. It reminded me in some ways of Dune, but I slept through most of those (blasphemy, I know). Anyway. I liked it.

I will give my piece of flash its own entry, in part because it's fairly brutal. It's the birth of a story, and birth is never gentle.

No comments:

Post a Comment