Tuesday, February 25, 2014

QUICK! Write Something!!

Writing During Nap Time

The Nap Itself

Nap duration is a variable thing in my house. Sometimes Lokisdottir sleeps for a couple hours, leaving me with plenty of time to do stuff. Not very exciting stuff, but stuff nonetheless. A leisurely shower. A trip to the bathroom in *gasp* solitude. Sometimes the naps are 15 minute teasers that give me the false sense that I might be able to sit down. I haven't figured out how to predict which is to be which at this point.

Actual Nap Times

Even more variable than the duration is the nap itself...Some days she starts with the eye rubbing at, say 10am. Others it's as late as 3pm, or about 15 minutes before I have to leave to pick up Baldursdottir, my first grader. If I'm wrong in my assessment, we start the routine from the beginning.

Nap Time Gotcha

She rubs her eyes. Yawns. Asks for "Bunkee", "Doodoh", and "Bottle". I collect them. Make my way upstairs. "Ock!!" the box fan and the little oil heater ("Ock" means "on", "off", "get this off my hands", "get out of my way" and a variety of things that involve lots of screaming and hand gestures). Sit in the nice rocker my mother bought us when we had Baldursdottir. Wrap her up, adjust everything just so. The bottle empties and BOLT UPRIGHT SHE SITS. "Go!! Down? Doggies?" Haha!! She didn't want a nap. It was a con. I wish she knew I'd just hold her like that anyway and it doesn't require all that work. Ah well. Next comes:

Bargaining with God

Proof positive that whatever deity resides over this little parcel of the planet is a trickster. See above. Most "naps" end tragically and quickly. Also see above. I keep telling myself that whatever I want or need to do can wait til the kids go to bed, but every night I pass out cold in the chair with Lokisdottir, wake up at some point well past midnight and stagger in the direction of my bed with the firm promise that tomorrow's nap time will be better.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

That Said

I am also using this blog to see what my time looks like in reality. If I'm going to do freelance work, I want to make absolutely sure I have the right time to dedicate to it to do it right. The last few updates were while Lokisdottir was awake and playing quietly by herself. It didn't work out great, but it wasn't a nightmare either. Ok yesterday was a little bit of a disaster. She insisted on helping. So no, I can't let her watch a movie while I work. Not yet. Really she just wanted to sit in my lap, which made it far more interesting than is beneficial.

So,I've said what I wanted to say, done what I've wanted to do and she is still asleep. I guess I will go wash my floors or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment