Friday, February 28, 2014

Toddlers and Coffee

HTML is EASY!

Writing With an Awake Toddler is Not

But I'm giving it a try anyway. It has become clear that I am utterly and completely uninteresting until have a look of concentration. This goes for reading ingredients on the grocery, writing on my computer...well writing anything anywhere, anyhow...and yes, of course, going to the bathroom.

It doesn't matter that Monster's Inc. is playing for the nine billionth time (as reque...demanded), or the cats are walking dangerously close to the Opposable Thumbs of Doom. It's all about the look on mom's face. I know, I know, cherish these times. I do. I promise from the deepest part of my soul or I wouldn't be a stay-at-home mom.

Right now she has the The Throne all to herself. That is what I've come to call my criss-cross-applesauce legs because both she and my first grader have competitions to see who gets there first. It's all fun and games til mom takes one in the chin. This moment, at least, is not a competition, but a mostly nice moment we are sharing. She is watching her show and I am hunched way over her, looking over her head while she repeatedly hits the space bar.

Hey Mom With the iPhone

I can hear it now, and, yes, it's a direct reference to the internet's most annoying "Are You Mom Enough" pile of parental guilt I have yet to see. Moms, it's ok to have your own thought that doesn't involve "Oh, my darling, you are the most interesting thing ever!" I really should save this for its own post, because I think I could go on and I am a beast of brevity. Just let me say, "Guilt off, moms. You're allowed to stay connected to the adult world."

Yes I think I will save it. Because, while every moment my child is awake is not one I have to observe, applaud and reward, I do drop everything for hugs and giggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment