Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Metaphor Tree

Playing With Links

I'm ready to move on to working with embedding links, and instead of nonsense, I thought I'd tell a story about a story about a trip I took so long ago, most sane people would have forgotten. It's 250 pages of completed work that I now need to come to terms with, and I swear to God if I hear one more person "relate" I'm going to lose my shit. That sounds mean, I know. But my experience was singular...as is each experience out there. Don't sell yourself short by making your life "just like" anyone else's. It's yours. And the chemistry inside you is part of what makes YOUR story original and singular. Embrace that. Cherish that.

A Drive to Remember

Once upon a time, I was in my twenties. Early twenties, and like all proper twenty-somethings, I made questionable choices. I took a drive. A long drive, and it was terrifying, and beautiful, and exciting, and completely life altering. I'll leave it at that, because the real point of this entry isn't the drive--there's a whole book dedicated to that story. The point is to share something I saw along the way.

The Metaphor Tree

I had zero experience with Out West. I had never driven, flown, anything across the country before, so everything was new. I did my best to stay awake the entire time although I was driving half of the time (exhaustion is its own drug, by the way. I never underestimated the effects of sleep deprivation after that).

Skipping over larger parts of the continent (again, there's a book), we're at the Salt Flats. I didn't even know they existed until the moment we broke free from the Utah landscape and ended up here, or roughly in that kind of here; it's been 20 years or so. It was breathtaking.

We drove for longer than I can remember. Off to the right of the highway was a speck. The speck grew as we neared it. And became this giant sculpture. The driver at the time pulled over, and we got out to wander around, take a break and marvel. It didn't look like that as I remember...there were half broken globes on the ground that we climbed on. And there was no fence at the time.

A lot happened during that stop, and I've written about it quite a bit (even have a piece published that includes one treatment of that moment). I even took pictures of the thole thing, but the trip was so messed up that I never picked them up after they were developed. I kinda wish I had.

Now the Test

To see if this really worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment